After conquering most of the pae ʻāina (Hawaiian archipelago), Kamehameha Paiʻea returned to Kona in 1812 and found it in famine. He gathered all the aliʻi and makaʻāinana and worked alongside them to restore the upland gardens of Kona. The restored agricultural fields were so great, that they were given the name, "Kūāhewa," meaning "vast" by the people of Kona.
Today, Hōʻuluʻulu Kahaluʻu works to restore physical and spiritual abundance to part of Kūāhewa, the Kahaluʻu Field System, owned by Kamehameha Schools. This systems has over 3,500 identified archaeological features, of which, over 97% are agricultural features, making it arguably the largest intact remnant of Kūāhewa. We host ʻāina-based education days for all ages, and provide a space for the Kona community to connect to their ʻāina and learn about innovative Hawaiian food production landscapes.